A company that operates in 30 countries needs easy and cost-efficient business travel. This can be achieved with a booking system and other travel services provided by a competent partner that follows the latest development. Uponor, an international provider of indoor climate and water supply systems, chose SMT as its business travel agency after a tendering process in 2013. At that time, Uponor aimed to unify its company culture, and it set out with SMT to simplify business travel bookings.
How does SMT’s work differ from other travel agencies?
SMT’s process efficiency is praised by Uponor’s Executive Assistant Päivi Dahlqvist, who was involved in the selection of the new business travel partner. Uponor’s criteria included, naturally, an even better level of service as well as overall savings in the long term.
“SMT worked diligently already at the tendering phase. We received a quotation specifically targeted for Uponor’s needs that also had a good price/quality ratio. Furthermore, SMT’s perspective on business travel felt new and fresh. We were glad to move to using a domestic travel agency that develops its services along with our changing needs,” Dahlqvist describes the start of the partnership.
A tailored online booking service makes bookings simple
Right from the outset, SMT took a strong consultative role as a producer of travel services. SMT paid attention to the smallest details when planning the online booking system that is essential to Uponor. They were able to build a fine-tuned, user friendly booking service that only shows pre-determined trip and hotel options to travellers, which saves time when making a booking. Furthermore, the system presents the contract rates in a clear and comparable form and stored user profiles avoid having to enter passenger information separately. SMT also arranged webinar trainings on using the online services to Uponor’s active travellers.
Tailored reporting lays the foundation for business travel development
In addition to the efficient online booking system and great service, Uponor is happy with the reporting that SMT developed for the company. Tailored reporting provides useful and actionable information on travel costs, for example, thereby facilitating process improvements. Uponor highly values the partnership because of SMT’s strong efforts to develop the travel policies based on the collected data. A continuously strengthening and evolving partnership means that Uponor does not even think about switching to a different service provider. The frequently travelling executives and employees alike have been satisfied with the comprehensive service:
During the tendering process, the company, then known as Finland Travel Bureau, seemed like a dynamic team that demonstrated commitment all the way to the top management. Soon after we signed the contract, a merger created the new SMT. Following a very quick integration process, we continued to see the same enthusiasm that also had a positive impact on service quality and attitude. Our annual meetings with SMT’s managers give us a good update on the world of travel, including the trends and opportunities that SMT provides us as our partner. The meetings have also reinforced our feeling of having partnered with the right company – they continue to have a positive attitude to customer service.”
Uponor’s President and CEO Jyri Luomakoski
SMT’s service to Uponor includes
- A travel portal, which includes the booking system and travel instructions, among others.
- An online booking system, which is optimised for the company:
- the limited travel options, suggested hotels and user profiles make it simple to book online – anytime and anywhere.
- Service: a contact person who is familiar with the client company, Travel Team and technical support.
- Consulting and management support: Reporting and improvement suggestions based on an analysis of the results.
- Safety: SMT knows where our people are, informs them about the trip schedule and can also contact them in an emergency.
SMT’s continuous improvement of travel services leads to good results
Time savings – an optimised booking portal saves clicks
The tailored system recognises the user and shows a limited number of pre-determined options. This way, the user saves time by not having to browse the data or enter his or her personal information. Another strength is effective reporting that can be used for implementing the necessary changes immediately. SMT’s process efficiency helps the everyday work as well as business development.
Competitive rates – we offer smart concentration of your travel bookings
The contract rates are easily comparable, and the concentration of bookings provides savings. Tailoring the online booking portal for one client enables leaving out everything that leads to unnecessary costs and focusing on offering the relevant services in an affordable and centralised way.
Safety – SMT knows where your travellers are
Concentrated booking improves traveller safety and tracking. It enables locating the travellers, informing them of emergencies by SMS, for example, and responding quickly to changes in the schedule. SMT’s service includes contacting all travellers in case of serious or large-scale emergencies. There is also an additional service available for informing travellers of less serious inconveniences, such as strikes.
SMT’s Head of Sales Group Asta Vento’s tips for companies that travel on business:
- Think about why you are travelling. Could webinars, for example, replace part of your travel?
- Define clear and unified policies so that everyone can book their travel themselves and will do it in time.
- Create a glanceable summary of guidelines for travellers.
- Order an online booking portal tailored to your own specific needs:
- Quick travel booking is based on user profiles and limited options.
- Concentrate your purchasing: it is enough to have just a few good travel and hotel options.
- Reporting alone is not enough; the analyses must guide your actions and lead to changes, where necessary. SMT provides carefully planned, concrete improvement suggestions and supports the management with changes.
- When you compare service providers, look at the service offering and long-term savings potential in addition to the rates.
Travelling is everyday business for Uponor – so it must be convenient
Uponor is one of the leading providers of indoor climate and water supply systems for residential and commercial buildings in Europe and North America. In Northern Europe, Uponor is also a significant supplier of pipe systems for municipal engineering solutions. The company operates actively in 30 countries and employs approximately 3,800 people in total. Travel is business as usual for Uponor. Currently, SMT’s online booking system is used by approximately 70% of travel arrangers, but the company is trying to increase the usage rate even further as the savings for concentrated bookings have a significant impact on business travel costs.
Partner with SMT for smooth and convenient business travel.